Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It Really is Superior

Yay! A reason to blog!
We spent Labor Day weekend in Minnesota and Wisconsin with Steve's parents and sister. It was so wonderful to see them, as it's been more than a year. We drove all night Thursday night, leaving about 8:30, and got to Wisconsin at 4 in the morning, local time. Then we had to sleep in the car for a couple of hours, waiting for Melinda to wake up. We only got a little time with her, because she had to go to work.

We arrived in Minnesota about 2:00, and I went immediately to bed while Steve talked to his dad. That night, we ate a fabulous dinner and looked at the moon and Jupiter through Dad's telescope. The next day, we drove up to Duluth, MN. It was so beautiful up there. I love forests and mountains, and the lake was spectacular. I got to wade around in it for a few minutes. It wasn't too cold right up next to shore, but there were people swimming in it for some reason. Crazy people.



After my feet were dry, we wandered along the beach and shore of Lake Superior. Then we got back in the car and drove for another hour along the coast to a place called Gooseberry Falls, which features several beautiful waterfalls. Steve and I got to do a little hiking and jumping (across water), and it was great.

After church on Sunday, we left for Wisconsin again. The trip was fine, except we took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and ended up in the Wisconsin Dells. The place was bright and flashy and reminded me of a little Las Vegas, despite being secluded in a bunch of forest. Finally we reached Madison, Wisconsin, and spent the night with Melinda. She fed us a good breakfast the next morning, and we made our final journey home. We took the long way home, through Bloomington, Illinois, instead of Chicago, because there was so much traffic going to Chicago. Oddly, when we stopped in Bloomington for lunch, we remembered that we'd eaten at that exact same spot (well, across the street) on our initial trip to Columbus.

Now it's back to school and work and piano. I much prefer vacations, although I love sleeping in my own bed!

2 comments:

  1. What a whirlwind of a vacation! I agree - I rather do like my own bed, but seeing family and good sights is definitely worth the long drives (beautiful though they may be). I'm glad you got to see Mom and Dad and Melinda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so that's how you came to be dabbling your feet in Lake Superior. :)

    ReplyDelete