Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Apparently we really do live in a big city

After a wonderful temple session last night, I came out to find my car window broken and my purse stolen. AAAAA!! It took a few moments for me to take in this information, but then I was fairly emotional and upset. The good news (there is a lot of it) is that my wallet wasn't in it, but was with me. So they didn't get anything except my cell phone, a little bit of change, a few grocery store cards, and some stamps. Unfortunately, I also had one check in there, so they have access to our bank account. Mine was not the only car they broke in to: apparently there were at least four others. Steve talked to the police and the temple president for a little while, and they thought it might be some organized crime. I did file a police report, but I doubt I'll get any of the stuff back.

So, Steve and I spent the morning trying to clean up the mess. We went to the bank, canceled that account and opened a new one, went to the T-Mobile store to buy a new cell phone (which, fortunately, I was able to get the exact same phone for free!), called the Auto Glass people to replace my windshield, and then sat down to count our blessings.

Our blessings:
1) My wallet was not in the car. I still have my ID, my recommend, my library card, and my debit card.
2) We were able to get a new phone for free, due to the upgrade process.
3) I wasn't hurt in any way, nor was there any additional damage to my car.
4) The Auto Glass company is coming to our house to fix the car, which means we don't have to drive it anywhere with no window.
5) They only took my purse, leaving an Mp3 player, a violin, and various nonvaluable items alone. I am especially grateful that they left the violin, as that would be much more difficult to replace than my purse!

The moral of the story is, don't leave your purse in your car, even when at the temple. Also, I am going to need everyone's phone numbers again, since I always forget to back up my contacts list onto the computer. Grrr.

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! So sorry this happened to you, but glad for all the blessings that have come in dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary! I'm glad you were in the Temple when all the roughnecks came through. It is too bad that it took place on the Temple grounds. Well, the Lord knows who they are and in the end they will reap what they sew. I am glad that you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! I'm grateful that things weren't as bad as they could have been, though. We're glad you're okay too!

    ReplyDelete