Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 2 of Resolution

In my attempt to blog more often, I now need to figure out something to say.


Random pictures from long ago. I still have the "I love you" balloon. It sits in a vase on my kitchen table, reminding me every single day that my husband is the best man in the world.

I have been out on my parents' farm this week to help with the fourth crop of hay. I enjoy haying, even if I usually end up with a lot of bruises and a terrible crick in my neck. My usual job is chopping hay. This means that after the hay is cut, I come along with a big tractor, pulling the chopper and dump box, and green-chop the hay, cutting it into little tiny pieces that we then store in a silage pit. My father feeds the hay to the cows all year. He is convinced, and he is probably right, that it is much more nutritious than baling, which is what most people do. I like almost everything about haying: driving the great big tractor, being alone with my thoughts for hours in a vehicle that is too loud for music, the camaraderie of hanging with my dad and brothers (whichever ones are available for that crop), tearing around the fields on the motorcycle, skipping lunch only to eat a huge dinner that someone other than me made, the huge breakfasts when we sit and talk and talk until it's time to go to work, wearing a trucker hat. Even the constant breakdowns are kind of fun, when they don't take too much time to fix.

I left for the farm on Monday, then returned last night to take Katelyn to a ward luau (which she ended up not going to), and to supervise a visit with her mom today (which ended up not happening). But I got the lawn mowed and watered and the kitchen completely clean, and now I'm headed to work on my school stuff. So it's been a good week.

3 comments:

  1. :). I like it! A side of you I never knew ... farm girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for updating your blog! I have been pretty bad about it lately, too, but that's mostly because I have so much going on inside my head that I need time to sort out myself before I write anything (if anything) down. I'm glad good things came for Taylor and hope you can get everything done that you'd like. Bests to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHH the smell of fresh cut hay!! I love that smell. Lucky you to be close enough to be able to go home to help. Its sad that things did not work out for Kaitlyn and her mom to visit. If that happens alot to her maybe it is better that she doesn't have to be put through that. I can only imagine the rejection that she must feel from being treated like that. I wonder if her mom is vengeful and trying to "give her a taste of her own medicine" I sure hope not.

    ReplyDelete