Something I have had on my mind a lot is the lack of education and learning I am receiving right now. I'll admit, it has been very difficult for me to not be in school. I often feel like my brain is atrophying, which is a very uncomfortable thought for someone like me, who has always loved to learn. I did apply to go back to school to work on a master's in English, but I was not accepted at this time. So I often spend time wondering what I can do now to keep my brain in functioning form. I did more things after I finished school, including some Old English translations and reading of some classics I'd never gotten around to while I was in school.
But it's been more than a year now since I graduated from ISU, and I need something more to do with my brain.
It's for that reason that I have undertaken my A-Z Reading Challenge. I have a list of twenty-six books (actually about twenty-one, as my list isn't complete yet) that I am going to try to finish before the end of the year. Of course, it would be a lot easier if I wasn't also reading many other books at the same time. I can't help it! Everything is so interesting! Anyway, I am excited to have a goal, something to require my brain to read more than Twilight or the Mitford books.
But I don't think this is enough of a goal for me. I am contemplating trying out some other subjects, like philosophy or math. My question is, how do you keep your brain striving after something when you're out in the real world? What goals do you try for, or what activities do you engage in that keep your brain moving? I could use any suggestions.
I am going to re-post my A-Z Reading Challenge as well, in case anyone has any further suggestions. I have tried to incorporate some of the suggestions already given. Now I am more curious about what other things people do to keep learning.
One thing I've done to help keep my brain alive is to check news headlines, particularly either the Google News summary page or the RSS feed from the BBC. I especially like science & technology headlines, since they often expose me to brain-expanding ideas & turn into mini-learning quests via google search follow-ups.
ReplyDeleteI like the books you've chosen (although I don't recognize most of them). I think that's a wonderful goal.
ReplyDeleteOther things I've done in the past (time necessitates that I don't practice them now) is to go through my old textbooks - do some math problems every day, read a bit of spanish, . . .
One thing I'm excited about . . . with Jason working at USU, we're both eligible to audit classes. I don't know if that's available to you for a small fee since your husband is going to school - maybe a spouse discount or something - but that is wonderful news for me!
Oh - and another thing. I love taking Institute classes. I feel like that helps my brain churn too.
Sorry, overload. I just get excited about learning. I really just wanted to share what I'm doing in the hopes that it will give you an idea of what you can do . . .
Another random thought from me: Writing also helps keep my brain alive. I blog when I want to monologue (on any of my many blogs) & I also tweet (twitter) for practice with brevity (since I tend to lean towards verbosity. . .).
ReplyDelete