Sunday, June 23, 2013

7 Years...

Seven years ago today, Diane and I were married. The day was long and full of craziness. I remember not being remotely prepared for all of the social aspects of the day, and I made some huge blunders that caused others to reprove me for things that I didn't know. All in all, most of what happened that day contributed to my being fairly grumpy. However, I can honestly say that I am not in the least bit grumpy about being married to my wonderful companion. I love her so much, and she manages to put up with my worries and grumpiness somehow. Diane is definitely the optimist of the two of us. She always reminds me to look for the brighter aspects of life, and she has helped me learn to do that so much. I am so grateful for all of the things she teaches me to help me be a better person. She has helped me to mellow significantly. I am not nearly as high strung or temperamental as I used to be. I appreciate that she always encourages me to be my best self without getting down on me for my weaknesses. She has taught me a lot about forgiving and trusting myself. She has taught me how to see myself as more than the sum total of all my weaknesses and short-comings. Being away from her so much over the last few months has been exceedingly challenging for me. I have felt my depression eating at me so much, and it reminds me how much her presence builds me up and provides a positive influence for me. I love her so much! I can hardly begin to express how much I love her. She is driving to MN today and tomorrow, and I am looking forward to spending the little time we have together this week with her. We get along so well with one another, and that makes me very happy... especially after I get done with a long day at work trying to deal with people who have no idea how to get along with others at all. During the first year of our relationship, we learned that we should not have deep or important conversations while too tired or too hungry, and having followed those two rules has created a special feeling between us that protects our marriage and strengthens us as individuals and as a couple. We get along fabulously, and on the rare occasions that tension arises between us, it dissipates quickly. Our relationship has continued to be and grow stronger as we have been apart, and that makes me so very happy!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, you two! And so happy you can have time back together for a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you and Diane are finally back together! Those long separations are hard.
    Always keep looking forward Steve and don't dwell in the past. You can not regain or undo the past but you can set goals, make changes; if necessary, and work to improve the future. It is all about maturing and being in control of your life instead of life being in control of you.

    WELCOME HOME STEVE AND DIANE!

    ReplyDelete