Sunday, June 14, 2009
A Day at the Farm
Yesterday we went on a little drive out to areas southeast of Columbus. We started our excursion at A.W. Marion State Park, where this lovely lake is located. There were a whole bunch of geese hanging out next to the lake, including several very cute goslings.
Next we went to a place called the Living Historical Farm at Slate Run. They run this farm as if it was still 1880, including no electricity, tractors, automobiles, etc. It was pretty cool. The farm house was original to 1850 something, and has been restored. They also had a bunch of animals. We took a bunch of pictures, but here are a few favorites.
Here is Steve next to a gigantic draft horse. They have four of them, and they use them to farm 60 acres of crops, which is a lot, considering their farm equipment is from the 1880's.
Melinda, this rooster is for you, compliments of Steve.
I am standing next to a very old drill, which supposedly they still use to plant crops. They have a whole fence lined with the steel wheels on another part of the farm, so apparently these wheels need to be replaced a lot. There was a lot of other farm equipment, and most of it looked like the stuff we used to play on out in our old pasture.
Here we are at the end of our day, standing in front of one of the covered bridges in Ohio. It is pretty cool, although there is no water underneath it. There are a lot of covered bridges in Ohio, apparently, although we haven't seen very many of them yet. I can't imagine why they needed covered bridges. Maybe some of our Ohio friends can help me out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Question about Slate Run: how would you rate it as a place to go with toddlers in tow?
ReplyDeleteUnsolicited advice: I'm afraid I'm no help in the covered bridge department, but if you're interested in random Ohio outings, particularly in the summer, I've found this website helpful:
www.ofea.org
It lists all the registered festivals around the state, and Columbus's location makes it easy to get just about anywhere. Note: when I say random, I mean random; this coming weekend includes a duct tape festival. :)
What a fun day! My favorite is the rooster - I ought to show that picture to Jason too!
ReplyDelete