Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Piano Recital and More

For people who live comparatively quiet lives, Steve and I have had quite a week. On Sunday, we had two wonderful couples from our church over for dinner and games. They were a lot of fun, and we enjoyed getting to know them a little better. Monday, we both had to be at work at 8:30. After work and three piano lessons, I came over to the home of Kent and Cassie Barrett. They asked us to house-sit for them while they are out of town this week. Steve went over immediately after he got off work to let the dog out. That night, the missionaries came over with a couple of junior companions to practice giving the first discussion. That was really fun, as I'd never heard it before. Afterwards, Steve and the Elders played pool for several hours. Then we had to go back to our home to grab all our stuff, and I did a load of laundry and played more pool. We got to bed well after midnight, by which time I was exhausted.

Tuesday I worked all day, then came home to do more laundry and try to get some dinner together before my visiting teachers came. After they left, I went to teach one more lesson; then Steve and I played more pool before going to bed after midnight again.

Today was my big day: my year-end piano recital! I did a combined recital with my good friend Nicole Trejo, and it was great. Nicole's students went first. She's a good teacher, and her students all did very well. Then my students went, and I was very pleasantly impressed with them. Some of them I know must have done some good practicing before they came. After all my students, Nicole and I each played a solo. We both did pretty well. It's always nice when you can leave a recital feeling pleased with your own performance; it makes up for the times when you leave ready to cry. I am not teaching again until July 7, and I am pleased to have the break. I love to teach, but it is emotionally exhausting to prepare for a recital and it will be nice to have some time off.


Here is me with all of my students who played. I am missing two who were not able to perform. Aren't they a great looking bunch of musicians? I am so proud of all my students. It's such a rewarding job, to be able to impart the love of high art to more people. At times I feel frustrated when I'm not able to communicate my enthusiasm and knowledge in an effective manner. But when there is an "aha" moment, when they understand something or play something perfectly, that we are able to share in a joy that doesn't come any other way. If any of you have wanted to take lessons but haven't started, please start. Music is one of the greatest gifts God has given us to share His love with us. And if you live in the Columbus area, I might be able to take on another student or two.

I hope to post a video of myself playing in the next few days. Thank you, Kristen!

3 comments:

  1. Diane,
    Congratulations on a job well done!
    I love music! It truly is balm to the soul.
    It can bring peace and comfort to those in despair , it can uplift the down- trodden, bring hope to the discouraged, bring joy to the sad and lonely. It is a special gift and that you have!
    I don't know how you manage to get all those notes together so fast and be able to make your hands find all of them on the piano and to be able to keep it all in time. It overwhelms my mind. Some have been given the gift to play so that people like me can listen and find great joy in the music! I love to listen to you play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great group of students - I had no idea you had so many! They're so lucky to have a teacher like you! I'd love to hear you playing - maybe you can play something for us when you come out :)! Hooray - is it really next week? Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I do love your blog - it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete