Sunday, June 21, 2009

A to Z Reading Challenge

It's not like I really need anything more to read. I read more than anyone else I know, and yet I always find more things. But I am going to try this anyway.

The idea is to take a book starting with each letter of the alphabet, for 26 books in total. Or author's names, but I'm going to use book titles. I may add author's names in the future, because that will give me more to read,but at the moment, 26 seems like enough. I have already thought of a few, but I could use any suggestions. I am not real picky about genre, as I like to read all sorts of things. However, I do prefer books that are G or PG. GIGO, y'know. Anyway, I'd love to hear your suggestions, or we can trade titles if anyone else desires to do this with me. I'll let you know how it's going!

A-
The Age of Innocence, by Edith Wharton
B-
The Battle of the Labyrinth, by Rick Riordan - completed
C-
City of Embers, by Jeanne DuPrau - completed
D-

E-
Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton
F-
Funny in Farsi, by Firoozeh Dumas (recommended by Beth Lybbert)
G-
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
H-
The Holy Bible, King James Version - completed
I-
Igraine the Brave, by Cornelia Funke - completed
J-
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
K-
Kids Say the Darndest Things, by Bill Cosby - Completed
L-
Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
M-
Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen - completed
N-
Nemesis, by Agatha Christie
O-
The Once and Future King, by T.H. White
P-
Peter and the Starcatchers, by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Q-

R-
Run Silent, Run Deep, by Edward Beach - Completed
S-
The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis - Completed
T-
Tomorrow's Dream, by Janette Oke - Completed
U-
The Universe Between, by Alan Nourse - Completed
V-
Vanity Fair, by William Thackeray
W-
Witch World, by Andre Norton
X-

Y-

Z-
The Zookeeper's Wife, by Diane Ackerman

I will post more as I come up with more titles. There are several things I'd like to add, like War and Peace, but I'm not sure I have the literary stamina for it anymore. Perhaps I'll try. I also would like to add some good non-fiction, but I'm a little scared of it. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Diane!
    Dad and I might be able to help you out a bit!
    Since we are from a whole different generation you might find some of these books interesting.
    There are some things that are good for me which I should do more often and one of them is reading. The other is typing- Dad is by my side wanting to do the typing. He'll get his chance:)

    We were required to read some books for our literature and World History classes in high school. Some of the books I had a dickens of a time getting through. I think it would be fun to read some of your books on your list so I might join you in this endeavor!

    Here are some of the books we had to read:
    Animal Farm
    Great Expectations
    The Grapes of Wrath
    The Red Badge Of Courage
    Brave New World- this book and 1984 were very controversial when we had to read them. I started to read them and mom heard what they were about and immediately forbid me from reading them. She went to the school board to get them removed from the required reading list but they stood behind their teacher. That was the first "F" I ever got in school. I was never more proud of a grade than that one. I was proud of my mom for what she did and for standing up for the values that she believed in.
    1984
    Hound of the Baskervilles
    Ethan Frome
    Shane
    The Red Pony
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    The Great Gatsby
    Some of these books were horrid to have to read.
    Now that I am out of high school there are books that I have enjoyed reading. I'm surprised that even Brian has enjoyed picking them up and reading them.
    There is a series of books written by Jeanette Oke. The first series is the Love Comes Softly series and there are 8 volumes in that set. Then in the Legacy Series there are four volumes. These are really easy to read and go quickly. They are my mind candy.
    June Masters Bacher has written four books that are similar the ones written by Jeanette Oke. I really enjoyed them too.
    I guess I should let Dad have the computer now so that I don't write a book here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,

    This is Dad. My turn.

    Some of the books on Colletta's list were indeed horrible.

    Ethan Frome was the worst. It was set sometime in the 1700s and it was the story of some New England farmer who was born, grew up, married and had a family, grew old and died. The author (a woman who's name I can't remember) spent over 100 pages telling us this. At the end you might ask What was the point? Nothing of real notoriety happened to this guy.

    All Quiet on the Western Front was a downer book, and loooong! Think a long march through the Sahara desert in July.

    I begged my literature teacher for some good science fiction and what did she give us? Fahrenheit 451! Ugh!

    Now for my list of books.

    I admit to still being an SF fan so many on my list come from that genre. My favorite authors are Isaac Asimov (now gone), EE Smith (also long gone) Andre Norton (ditto) and Anne McCaffrey. (Still around but retiring)

    One of my all time favorites though was one of the first SF books I read and it is called "The Universe Between" by Alan E. Nourse. I recently found a copy at a second hand bookstore. It is hard to locate now.

    Another is "Recoil" by Claude and Rhona Nunes.

    Asimov's Foundation series (3 original and several newer followups) is a good read for both SF and philosophy. Almost anything from Asimov is worth reading - and he wrote a lot. Over 360 novels.

    Andre Norton wrote a fair collection of general SF in the 1960s and I have a fair amount of it. Her best known series, however, is the "Witch World series (6 volumes) She wrote a lot of fantasy along with her SF, especially as she got older.

    Anne McCaffrey has a wide variety of SF books out as well. Her best known is the Pernese series (over 1 dozen volumes now) with the latest three written or co-written by her son, Todd. He is the heir apparent for the Pernese series. Another well known series started out as a short story and eventually became the Pegasus in Flight series that prequel the Tower and the Hive series (5 volumes)

    Another author I really liked was EE Smith who wrote the Skylark (4 volumes) and the Lensman (6 volumes) plus a few non related books.

    Of more recent authors, I like Life Probe and Anares Dawn books from Michael McCollum. Unfortunately each two volumes need the third but he never wrote them. Instead he wrote a few unrelated novels and then disappeared.

    I have also enjoyed Harry Potter and recently was introduced to the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.

    Although not an SF book, one of my all time favorites is Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward Beach. It is a WWII submarine novel and is very well done. He wrote a couple somewhat related novels in the 1970s, Dust on the Sea and Cold is the Sea. I liked the last one better.

    I have nearly 100 novels accumulated over the decades, some I reread regularly, others will eventually go back to the used book store and trade for something else.

    This too isn't everything but it should give you more than enough to keep you busy through the summer and well into next winter.

    Happy reading.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I think you got a lot of suggestions, so I won't add any. But, good luck! Sounds like a wonderful goal! I think I ought to try it!

    ReplyDelete